Thursday, April 21, 2011

poppy at Pinnacles

Recently, we were at Pinnacles (National Monument), one of our favorite places, especially when the early spring flowers bloom. While photographing these California poppies in the gravelly wash of the dry creekbed, I made an observation about understanding why poppies like to reseed themselves in our gravel paths so much, and Tony said, "It reminds them of home."

And here's a little tidbit I just learned from the Pinnacles website:
Pinnacles National Monument has the greatest number of bee species per unit area of any place ever studied. The roughly 400 bee species are mostly solitary; they don't live in hives.

More photos from another year's visit here.

1 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger Single Gal said...

Thank you for the information about the bees. I had no idea. Whenever I watch any documentaries or nature shows on bees, they are always in hives.

And the poppies. Aren't they nice? When I first started gardening, I think that was last year, and a little poppy sprung up, I had no idea what it was. When it was pulled out, and I saw the root of the plant I thought it was a carrot. For whatever reason the root of a poppy looks like a carrot.

Anyway, yours looks real nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Go to older posts